l'Association d'artillerie a Pied de la Garde Imperiale

Our Guns

Home
What we do
Who we are
Uniforms
Our Guns
Photo Gallery
FAQs
Events Diary
Contact Us

La Garde Imperiale from its inception in 1971 has always been equipped with full size artillery pieces. Our first gun, 'Josephine' was built in 1972.


Picture1.jpg

guns.jpg

12-pound field gun

The 12-pounder field gun was considered to be a battle-winning weapon, particularly when massed in "Grand Batteries".

 It was used by both Guard and Line batteries.

A Heavy Field Battery usually consisted of 8 pieces - 6 12-pounder guns and two Howitzers. 

 In action  they had a crew of 15 men, which included  8 specialist gunners commanded by a Corporal. They were drawn by a team of 6 horses accompanied by three ammunition caissons, each holding 68 rounds.

They had an effective range of 750 to 1,000 metres and could fire upto two rounds per minute.

 

Detling2011.jpg

  4-pound field gun

The 4-pdr was the mainstay of light field artillery during the Revolutionary and early period of the Napoleonic wars. From 1809 the 4-pdrs were used to arm the newly raised Young Guard or Conscript Artillery of the Imperial Guard, who undertook extensive service in Spain prior to the Russian campaign.

 

The 4-pdr allows La Garde to attend smaller events which don't have the space for our 12-pdr. It is also a far more workman like gun to operate and transport. The 4-pdr has a cast gun tube [actually a British 3-pdr] and is mounted on an exact copy of a 4-pdr carriage in the Artillery museum in Lille.

  

 

La Garde Imperiale has a space for you in its ranks.